University of Pécs Botanic Garden
1. BGs as living treasuries – maintenance and development of living collections
In the University of Pécs Botanic Garden the outdoor and greenhouse collections contain 6,000 temperate and tropical zone higher plant taxa.
2. BGs as green laboratories – scientific activities and research infrastructure
The botanic garden provides educational material for the relevant trainings of the University of Pécs, and establishes and maintains collections of living material for the given research topics. It is also involved in experiments on the adaptation of certain taxa to climate change.
3. BGs as experience-based class-rooms – education activities and infrastructure
In the botanic garden it is possible to hold thematic guided tours and outsourced lessons for school children and kindergarteners.
4. BGs as custodians of biodiversity – conservation activities, saving endangered species, gene banking
The garden is home to many red-listed exotics and 60 protected plants in Hungary.
5. BGs as perpetuators of cultural heritage
The park was the garden of the Jesuit Pius Secondary Grammar School from 1912. It was transformed into a botanical garden in 1952 following the establishment of the Department of Biology at the Teachers’ Trainig College (currently the Faculty of Sciences, University of Pécs).
6. BGs as eco-attractions – recreation areas, touristic activities and operations, visitor experience and comfort
Several cultural and public events take place annually in the Univerity of Pécs Botanic Garden: ‘Early Spirng Flowering’, ‘Night of Researches’, ‘Autumn in the Botanic Garden’, ‘Tropics in Winter’ and the annual horticultural exhibition and fair.